Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cute Garden Bike and a Mystery Solved


The next time you see an old, dilapidated bike with flat tires and worn paint, don't pass it by, wheel it home and into your garden. An old bike makes a charming decorative garden piece and if it has a basket-an instant planter! I found this cute English bike at a sale for $10.00. It fit right in with my shabby backyard decor of black iron trellises, huge urns filled with pretty pink flowers, and bubbly fountain.

If your bike sits in the soft dirt, put a small piece of wood under the kickstand so it doesn't sink or fall over when the sprinklers come on and the ground gets soft.

A green, crowned frog sits under the fountain-waiting for the magical kiss that will turn him into the Prince he knows he can be!

My son and I spent a few days on summer vacation last year making this cobblestone extension off of our concrete patio. It was a fairly easy project. The two of us pulled up the grass (it was already worn in this spot by the dog), leveled the dirt, and then layed pavers from Lowes. The more uneven and shabbier, the better! It's the perfect spot for coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at night as the stars twinkle through the trees.

The view from my favorite lounge chair on the cobblestone patio.

As I was taking this picture tonight, the mystery of how the fountain water was disappearing so fast has finally been solved!
Sweet Dreams!
Di

2 comments:

Thompson Tales said...

I love your new background, it looks beautiful!!! I am totally jealous of your backyard, you really have a green thumb....we live in a condo now, and I don't have a yard to take care of, so I get jealous when I see peoples yards. I love the post of the pink car, so cute!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.