Friday, April 25, 2008

Mirror, mirror on the wall................

TGIF! Who else is sooooooo glad it’s Friday? This week seemed to go on forever as the weather in Boise is still cold and windy and only teases us slightly with a small dash of spring between the hail and wind. I’m looking forward to yard saling with my gal pals tomorrow and hopefully finding some treasures to share with you in future blogs.

Another fun and inexpensive item to decorate your cottage with are vintage mirrors. You can find vintage mirrors at yard sales and thrift stores for anywhere from $2.00 to $20.00. Don’t let their condition or color sway you to pass one up. You can lightly sand and paint any old mirror a pretty new color, and wood glue can reattach loose pieces. I even found a beautiful 1940s gold mirror at a yard sale for only $5.00 that would have easily sold at the antique shop for around $100.00. It had several small pieces of the gold nicked in a few places. With the magic of a gold paint pen, I touched-up the nicks until they became invisible. Mirrors also expand your living area and create the illusion of space (important for tiny cottages like mine).

Here are a few vintage mirrors I have around my house.







This square mirror looks hip hanging over my hutch. (Boy did the maid do a crappy job cleaning this mirror. Wait a minute, I am the maid! I should be fired from all housekeeping duties immediately!)



This round porthole mirror hangs over my bathroom towel bar and is flanked by candlesticks.




This mirror has a beautiful beveled edge and ornate top. I lightly sanded it and painted it black.



















Happy Friday, and leave a comment if you can!


Di

1 comment:

Mya said...

I love your mirrors and I can't wait for garage sale season either. I am excited to see all the places that people feature for their show and tell sunday this week. I just wish I could then hop on a plane and visit/shop. Thanks for stoping by my place.