Saturday, May 10, 2008

Show and Tell Sunday-Our Mothers

Hello! This Sunday's Show & Tell is our Mothers. Thanks to Analise at Sugar Sugar for hosting this week's Show & Tell. Pop over to her blog at http://leesiebella.typepad.com/ to see all the wonderful Mothers being honored today.

Here is my beautiful Mother:

My Mother is a generous, loving woman who always puts her family above her own needs and interests. This nurturing started long ago in Kentucky when she was barely a child herself and tended to her sisters while her Mother worked. She kissed their skinned knees, cooked them dinner, and tucked them into bed. They called her Mamma.

She is also a talented artist. One of the first memories I have of my Mother was a gloomy, rainy day in Pittsburgh when all three of us girls were little. We had been stuck inside all day and whined until Mom finally let us go out in our bright yellow slickers and matching boots. Mom said it was a perfect day to watercolor as the rain could do the mixing for us. We spend the rest of the soggy day happily painting. I painted a giant yellow sunflower and scrawled 'Diane" on the top in bright green. I still have this picture. It reminds me of that simple, happy day.

A few years ago, I wrote a poem for my Mother that sums up my feelings (the format/grammar are a little rough), but here it is.

Memories of my Mother
Are like shades of color
That wash over me.

Through an artist eyes
She taught me to see
The simple beauty in ordinary things.

They are forever painted
in my heart, and soul,
and memory.

The images of my Mother,
and the flowers, and the colors,
and the love she gave me.

Here are a few more pics of Mom:
Mom and Dad (pretty sure my oldest sister Teresa is the twinkle in his eye). He's a handsome dude! Mom and I both being big "kids" at the park in Spokane!
Mom and my son, Matt.


Mom and her brother Richard (love you Uncle Richard-come see us again soon)!






Happy Mother's Day Mom! I love you!



Di

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed to have such a wonderful mother. I hope you enjoy your Mothers Day.

Kathy

Alisa said...

Aren't moms just the best?! Have a beautiful Mother's Day!
Alisa

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful Mom you have. I hope your day is a special one!

Happy Mother's Day.
Blessings,
Rebecca

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Hello, What a Beautiful mom you have! Lovely photos.

I have enjoyed looking at all the photos for this week's show and tell ~ have a wonderful Mother's Day!

~ Karen at Ciderantiques

leesiebella said...

Happy Mother's Day Di!!

Hope you've had a wonderful day, and thanks for sharing with us!!

xo
Analise

Cami said...

Happy Mom's Day to you both!!!

Babsarella said...

Awwwe...what a terrific Mom!!! THanks for sharing, and hope you both had an amazing day!!!

Sarah said...

How sweet you and your mom are! Love the poem you wrote for your mama!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/

Anonymous said...

I love the piece you wrote about your Mom...it was so sweet!! Kristin