Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Simplifying and Clarifying with a Yard Sale!

There comes a time when you realize there are only so many hours in a day and only so many things you can realistically accomplish. I've recently realized with a full time day job at Hewlett-Packard (that often entails late night calls with China), I can't do all of the crafting, decorating, writing, and selling things I want to do. So, I've decided to simplify and focus on what I really want to accomplish.

I've closed my ebay store and my antique booth. This was a tough decision, but the work entailed in keeping it up was consuming a lot of time. I will, of course, continue to buy cute vintage items. But this time, I will buy them for the enjoyment of myself or my friends and to share on this decorating blog, which I intend to continue with along with my writing.

There's no better way to clarify than with a giant yard sale. My partner-in-yard-sale crime and bf, Beri, and I had a monster of a yard sale this past weekend. Many of our own yard sale treasures, as well as the contents of our attics and spare rooms were up for grabs.

In a way, it was satisfying to see many of the items we've enjoyed go to other vintage loving gals like us. One gal bought all of my vintage aprons for her little girls to wear while they baked cookies. Another gal bought Beri's antique fridge as the perfect find to complete her vintage kitchen. In a strange twist of fate, as we were about to close, a gal walked up with several of my vintage items. She mentioned she was opening a booth at the Dusty Trunk. After chatting for a minute, I discovered she was taking over MY booth at the antique store! She was so excited there had been an opening at the store. My closure had given her a chance to realize her dream.

Here are some pics of our yard sale. If you drove by, you would have slammed on the brakes and stopped! Beri's daughter, Jamie, and I manage the cash box as we look over decorating magazines.



A "Tea For Two" sign with silver tea set sit on a black vintage TV tray.


A wood ironing board with red metal legs and pretty linens.


Super cute black wicker dressing set.

An old 1935 white fridge that weighs about 300 pounds and comes with the original silver ice cube trays.






The guys (my sweet guy is on the left) hoping and praying we won't go to any more yard sales any time soon!



Cool old screens and black pair of fun chairs.





A huge old white shabby window.








Happy Day!
Di

1 comment:

Bellevue Flea Market said...

You are right, I would have slammed on my brakes and stopped for this yard sale. You should have another one and only invite me!! I am from Boise as well and I just stumbled upon you blog because I was doing a search for B's Aprons on google and you came up. How cool is that! I love your blog it is so fun.
Ember
The Painted Chair & Bellevue Flea Market