Saturday, June 21, 2008

Celebrating a Successful Rejection with Cupcakes!



What do you consider a failure?


I have high standards for myself, and more than just a little bit of perfectionism going on. I'm usually the last person to compliment myself and the first one to beat myself up when something goes wrong.


I love to write and have recently finished a children's picture book manuscript, MORTIMER'S MIDNIGHT MISHAP (see April 16th post). I submitted my manuscript to several children's book publishers back in April. The competition is tough, and publishers receive over 20,000 unsolicited manuscripts every year. You have to have thick skin to go through this process (tough for us perfectionists).


To date, I've received several form rejection letters back in the mail. These usually start with, "Dear Author." Every time I open the mailbox and see a self-addressed stamped envelope sitting on top of the pile of bills or coupons, my heart sinks.


On my birthday, last Friday the 13th, I opened the mailbox to see another one looming on top of the power bill. I thought to myself, please don't let me get a rejection on my birthday. I almost threw it away without opening. When I did, I found it was a person letter from the Executive Editor of Candlewick Press. Candlewick is a huge children's book publisher. It was addressed to me, Diane Grabow, not "Dear Author." The Editor (Mary Lee Donovan) said the story was good, Mortimer was a sweet character, and the sibling rivalry was believable. Unfortunately, she wasn't sure it would stand out in the crowded children's picture book market. My heart soared. Even though it was a rejection, it was a good rejection! The fact that a busy editor had taken the time to write to me (out of 20,000 submissions), validates my writing skills and encourages me to continue.


So today, I'm celebrating a "successful rejection" with some adorable cupcakes I bought from some equally adorable gals selling them in front of Albertsons. As I bite into the gooey chocolate one, I'm going to feel like a smashing success, realizing the real failure would be in not trying at all.


Happy dreams!


Di























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi DI HAPPY BIRTHDAY ..late im sorry LOVEtthe way you celabrate... you can tell this is your old? cousn but I LOVE every thing you do ITS A JOY LOVE YOUR CUZ MARGIE