Saturday, June 7, 2008

Show and Tell Sunday-Trash to Treasure


Hello! It's time for Show and Tell Sunday. This Sunday, we're showing our "trash to treasure" projects. What have you hauled home that was certainly destined for the dumpster and transformed into a priceless treasure (at least to you)?

I've hauled my share of "junk" home. I'd like to think these aren't junk, but items that haven't reached their full potential yet. They just need a little TLC and mentoring (like we all do sometimes).

Here's a few of my "trash to treasure" projects:

I bought this hutch for $5 at a recent yard sale. It had been used in a child's room and was covered in painted handprints and autographs. I decided the brown and cream colored paint matched the trim on my house, so all I really needed to repaint was the front panels. I chose black to complement the black iron trellis on the patio. A little sanding and two coats of paint later, I had an adorable garden hutch to hold my pink clogs, pink gloves, and garden hat.

BEFORE:


AFTER:I primed, painted, and stenciled two old beat-up suitcases to carry all of my supplies for flea markets or craft shows. They're so cute and ultra girly!

I found this old table during the Fourth of July antique sale in Sun Valley. I painted the legs black with yellow stripes and decoupaged cute red ladybugs my mother painted on the corners. A friend remodeled his older home and gave me a few of the windows to sell. I really liked this tri-paneled one and decided to give it a modern twist. I painted black over the white paint and distressed the edges. I stenciled very lightly swirls and flowers in the middle and corners in white over black paint. To finish it off, I stole a black iron chain (from my husband's section of the garage) to hang it with.
I used another old french door (bought at an old farmhouse that was being demolished) to accent the corner of a boring garden bed. A purple clematis is being trained to climb through the broken window at the top. A black iron lantern provides twinkling candlelight. I found the black sun dial at the Idaho Youth Ranch for $10.00.
Good luck with all your "trash to treasure" projects! Thanks to Analise at Sugar Sugar for hosting this week. Check-out her link @ http://leesiebella.typepad.com/ to see all the fun and fabulous "trash to treasure" projects.

I'm getting a horrible head cold and am off to bed with NyQuil to keep me company. Take care!

Di

24 comments:

roseroomnz.com said...

Wow, you have some fabulous trash to treasures:) Rachael

Anonymous said...

Love the cabinet you did and all your windows!!! I have a ton of suitcase's that I think I'm gonna paint now because yours are so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Great work ! I agree, TLC is what most things need. What would we do without paint :)

Karen at Ciderantiques

Barbara said...

Great projects! I especially love your trellis!

Alisa Noble said...

Great treasures! Love the old French door!
Alisa

Anonymous said...

Love those suitcases! I did something similar to a train case, except instead of paint I decoupaged vintage papers and images all over it. I really like how yours turned out; so sweet! I need to try this with my "regular" luggage so I can spot it at the airport right away!

Splashes of Pink and Mint said...

Those suitcases are really adorable!!! Love your windows too!

blessings said...

There's so many great ideas here I can't think of which one I love more!! That chunky table is sooo cool and I love the way you used the french door. You're so creative. Blessings... Polly

Christa from Chloe Rose said...

I always love trash to treasure for outside....I really like the french door from the farmhouse. It's always fun knowing the history behind your treasures. This is the first time I've participated in the Trash to Treasure feature on Sugar*Sugar's blog, so it's fun to see everyone's pictures!

Christa
Chloe Rose

http://chloerosedesigns.blogspot.com

Margo said...

That old french door is gorgeous! Hope you feel better soon!
Margo

Rebecca said...

The suitcases are awesome!!
Thanks for sharing all of your treasures!
Hugs and Blessings,
Rebecca

Andrea said...

wOW! WAY to fix things up.. I was out of paint so had to treasure something without my favorite white paint!

Anonymous said...

My yardsale,flea market, estate sale buddy told me yesterday I should paint some of my vintage luggage. I have two pieces that are the yucky brown, and I was thinking I would paint them, and now I know I will. I love what you did. Hey, what kind of primer did you use?

Karen Bosch said...

Really like the French door out in your garden, with the lamp hanging on it. so cute!

Anonymous said...

Very cool trash to treasure scores!! I like the black cabinet~~came out great ! Kristin

leesiebella said...

Hi Di! Oh, I am so sorry you aren't feeling well! I hope you get lots of rest!

Beautiful find, by the way, I love the old windows!

xo
Analise

Anonymous said...

Love all your creations. The suitcases are my favorite! Thanks for stopping by my blog today, I hope you feel lots better!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

That cabinet is a wonderful redo! You have some very good ideas going here. Hope you are feeling better. Susan

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Love your finds! The 3 paned window looks great, too! I love old wood windows and have a few, too. Most of them are in the garage waiting to be cleaned up and repurposed. I don't know which is more exciting, the thrill of the find or the final result when the project is completed!

Chanda said...

Loved the french door idea. I wish I had on. So pretty in your garden.

Lynn said...

Love, love, love your trash to treasure items, and those suitcases are to die for :) I suppose you need a special paint for that huh?
You did a great job on everything :)Thanks for visiting!

Jeanie said...

Love all the items you showed, but especially that cabinet! Fabulous eye!

Thanks for visiting the Marmelade Gypsy -- I'm so glad I stopped by here!

Nancy said...

Great treasures from trash!!! Hope you're feeling better. So glad you stopped by to visit. Nancy

Miss Gracie's House said...

You have some great finds there! I really like the door out in the garden...and those girly suitcases...so cute!
Have a great day!
Rene'